31 Jan Fairtrade Fortnight 2021 – Fighting for Climate Justice
For two weeks each year at the end of February and start of March, thousands of individuals, companies and groups across the UK come together to share the stories of the people who grow our food and drinks, mine our gold and who grow the cotton in our clothes. People who are often exploited, underpaid and are now suffering from changes in the global climate although they have contributed the least towards its effects.
2020 has been a hard year for everyone, and in 2021, Fairtrade Fortnight will be very different – we know that physically campaigning and meeting people will continue to prove a challenge, but we have also heard from so many of you that you want to continue to support Fairtrade through this time.
So let’s do what we can in these challenging times to keep pushing the message and help bring the fight for climate justice to those who we can reach by the means we have available.
We need your help to put farmers’ voices at the heart of tackling the climate crisis and share the reality of their struggles as more than ever, they need a fair price for their crops and their hard work. This Fairtrade Fortnight, we are asking you to use your voice to tell others about the challenges that farmers face from climate change, we are asking you to ‘Choose the World You Want’.
What you can do…
- Join the Fairtrade Foundation online festival with your friends and family. Sign up today and they’ll send you all the latest news as more exciting events are confirmed. You can expect to find fascinating and fun events featuring all parts of the global Fairtrade community, including Fairtrade farmers and workers, other climate campaigners and of course the amazing grassroots network.
- Use the Fairtrade Foundation social media resources to spread the word online and add more voices. More online resources will be arriving soon in their newly revamped Resources Library. Go to Resources Library.
- If you are you a young person between the ages of 5-25 why not get involved in the ‘Choose the World You Want’ youth exhibition in Fairtrade Fortnight 2021? Click here for more information.
- Read and share the stories of farmers affected by climate change. These stories will be published throughout the early part of the year on the Fairtrade Foundation website.
- Host your own online meeting or event. This could be anything from a discussion space, a quiz, an online coffee morning, a cook along, a crafting session or a talk as part of the Climate Coalition’s Show the Love 2021. We know you all have so many ideas and anything goes as long as it gives you the opportunity to talk Fairtrade!
- You can also sign the Climate Coalition’s Climate Declaration and tell your local MP or Council about your commitment to putting the voices of farmers and workers at the heart of the climate crisis fight.
- Use your imagination!
Find out more about this year’s Fairtrade Fornight from the Fairtrade Foundation website.